sail-world.com -- U.S. Adult Sailing Championship - Climactic final in Rochester
U.S. Adult Sailing Championship - Climactic final in Rochester
Mon, 26 Aug 2013
The 2013 U.S. Adult Sailing Championship, hosted by the Rochester YC, came down to the wire in an action-packed finish on Lake Ontario Sunday. David Klatt's (Oxnard, Calif.) talented team pulled out the victory with a win in a climactic final race this afternoon to earn the Clifford D. Mallory Trophy.
Klatt had a one point lead over Pat Toole (Santa Barbara, Calif.) going into today and a two point advantage after this morning's Race 7. The top five teams were separated by just five points with two races to go. By the end of the day, Klatt prevailed by four points over Pat Toole (Santa Barbara, Calif.). Bryan Dyer (Fort Worth, Texas) finished nine points back in third place.
Similar to Saturday's conditions, the J/24 fleet raced in a light southeasterly. Rodger Voss (Albany, N.Y.) won Race 7, followed by Klatt and Toole. The table was set for an exciting finale.
Toole got off the line with great speed and Klatt was directly to the leeward side of the course. Klatt took the lead around the first mark and Dyer was second, followed by Fitzgerald and Toole. The wind picked up velocity throughout Race 8. Klatt and Toole were in a match racing duel in the course's final leg, which had been extended by the Race Committee. Toole needed to pull ahead of Klatt and put two boats between him and Klatt to win championship. However, Klatt pulled away for the dramatic win to seal the title.
'We were in a mini tacking duel with Santa Barbara (Yacht Club) down the stretch,' explained Klatt. 'We rounded the top mark in second and our goal was do nothing radical, but Texas (Fort Worth Boat Club) got in the way. All three of us jibed over at once. We were able drift in to win in the race. It was a great way to finish the regatta.'
'I've been competing with these guys for years now,' said Klatt, the 2004 J/24 North American Champion. 'We also recruited some guys like tactician Garrett Baum.'
'I'd like to race again at J/24 Worlds. I haven't raced at worlds since 2007. I'll be sailing J/24s for as lonUSAC13 D3 Tooleg as I can,' he added.
Results and Standings 1. David Klatt (Ventura Yacht Club): 1-6-2-7-1-2-2-1- ; 22 Lane Desborough Garrett Baum David Paudler
2. Pat Toole (Santa Barbara Yacht Club): 3-2-3-6-3-3-3-3- ; 26 George Witter Kent Pierce Dale Turley
3. Bryan Dyer (Fort Worth Boat Club): 7-1-6-4-2-1-8-2- ; 31 Vicki Dyer Craig Johnson Chris Rousseau
4. Rodger Voss (Lake George Club): 4-7-1-1-6-4-1-8- ; 32 Nelson Snowden Michael Quaid Susan Jacobs John Jacobs
5. Frank McNamara (Eastern Yacht Club): 2-4-4-3-4-7-7-6- ; 37 Clinton Hayes Diane Economides John Powley Paula Grasberger
6. Pat FitzGerald (Severn Sailing Assoc.): 5-5-5-5-5-6-4-4- ; 39 Bill FitzGerald Kelly FitzGerald Mel Keen
7. Alexander Bolan (Columbia Sailing Club): 6-3-8-2-7-8-5-5- ; 44 Charles Bumgardner Robert Bush Crawford Milling
8. Russel Cook (Oswego Yacht Club); 8-8-7-8-8-5-6-7- ; 57 Trevor Allen Peter Williams Joseph Snyder Shawn Youngman