'Are you continually frustrated by ’swipe marks’ still there after cleaning? It’s enough to make you sell the boat!'
Do you end up with 'swipe marks' on your boat after cleaning? Do your zippers jam with salt? Do you find that even rain dirties your boat? Apart from moving to somewhere pristine and unpolluted, what can you do about these challenges? Here the cleaning experts at Shurhold give their Top Seven Tips for effective and easy washing:
1. Always rinse down the area to be cleaned prior to washing. This helps remove any loose surface grime preventing you from scrubbing it into the finish.
2. 'Dirty' rain can leave black streaks. Try to wash them off immediately. The sooner you do it, the easier they will be to remove.
3. Less is more when it comes to mixing soap with water. Too much soap will make it hard to rinse leaving soap scum.
4. Wash early or late in the day, avoiding intense sunlight will make it easier to clean because the areas you are working on won’t dry too quickly.
5. Use a microfibre cloth for the best results always.
6. Once everything is clean, wax or polish it to make the next cleaning easier. Keep a good coat of wax on all metal hardware to prevent corrosion. You’ll recoup the cost of all the cleaning, polishing and waxing products you use in your investment’s resale value.
7. To help prevent corrosion on seals, hinges, snaps and zippers, they should be coated with water-resistant lubricant. Care must be exercised when applying liquid or spray lubricants. Some are petroleum-based, and drips or overspray may harm gelcoat or clear coat, upholstery and fabric. (Shurhold offers a handy stick-style lubricant called Snap Stick.)
Just using these seven great tips could stop you deciding to sell the boat!
Sail-World Cruising would like to thank Shurhold?nid=107541 for their advice in these Tips.
by Shurhold/Sail-World Cruising - 11:11 PM Fri 15 Mar 2013 GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.
If you want to send this story to a friend, please use link below
Based on your current download speed Sail-World has delivered large images (660 pixels long side.) If you would like to see only small images (300 pixels long side) click here . For medium sized images (500 pixels long side) click here . If you would prefer to see text only (without pictures) click here
Click for further information on
Related News Stories: